The Humane Society of Western Montana's goal is to ensure that every pet in the shelter gets a minimum of 20 minutes of human contact daily. Studies have shown that 20 minutes of human contact daily can make a difference in the life of a homeless pet. It decreases the pets anxiety which can cut down stress related illnesses and make them 'show' better to potential adopters. Your help in the shelter, out in the neighborhoods or in your town home can and does make a world of difference for the animals.
Becoming a Volunteer is Simple
Print or email your volunteer application
Apply for positions
Please select up to three jobs on your application that you're interested in. Jobs that are available immediately are listed below. If you're interested in a job that's not listed as available, please consider volunteering for another position until your first choice becomes available.
Accept and train for your position
The Volunteer Coordinator willl contact you to confirm your schedule and job placement. You will then be required to attend a basic shelter orientation and the specific training for your job. Additional training is required for all jobs at the shelter.
Record your hours
Volunteer! Click here to record your hours. Please help us keep accurate records of volunteer hours. Thanks!
Volunteer Job Opportunities
- Dog walking, training and socializing (for volunteers 18 years and older)
- Cat socializing and training
- Shelter Greeter
- Fundraising/Special Events
- Office Assistant/Data entry
- Kennel cleaning assistant
- Cat room cleaning assistant
- Shuttling animals to and from vet appointments
- Critter Camp volunteer
- Humane Education
- Off-site adoption ambassador
- Community Cats Program for stray and feral cats
- Mowing and yard maintenance
- HOPE Foster program
- Spay/Neuter Clinics
- Off-site ambassador
Volunteer Shifts available as of 3/21/15
Beginning Volunteer Shifts
- Shelter Greeter- Tuesday 3-5pm
- Cat Socializer- Turesday 1-3pm
- Cat Socializer- Wednesday 2-4pm
- Cat Socializer- Friday 2-4pm and 1-3pm
- Cat Socializer- Saturday 1-3pm
- Cat Cleaning Assistant- Saturday 8:30-10:30am
- Office Assistant-Tuesday-times flexible
- Bunny Agility Assistant- times flexible
- Very Determined Puppy Enrichment
Intermediate Volunteer Shifts
- Photographers (website photos, events)-every other week, day and times are flexible
- Photography Assistant- every other week, days and times flexible
- Bunny Agility Trainer- times flexible
- Lead Cat volunteer-Tuesdays 3-5pm
- Lead Cat volunteer-Saturdays 1-3pm
- Lead Dog volunteer- Friday 2-4pm
Advanced Volunteer Shifts
- Volunteer Adoption Specialist- 1x week
- Paws Ahead Dog Trainer-Tuesday afternoons
- Paws Ahead Cat Socializer- Saturday afternoons
- Paws Ahead Cat Socializer-Thursday afternoons
Requirements for volunteering
We welcome children under 18 years old but because of liablity a parent or legal guardian must accompany them. Volunteers must be 18 years or older to work with dogs. All volunteers need to attend training in your area of interest.
Because training new volunteers requires an investment of time and the animals are depending on you, we do require volunteers to sign up for shifts. We realize that you may not be available for every shift but we request advance notice so we can fill your shift.
If you have any questions regarding the program, please contact Jaime at 549-4796 or email@example.com.
Be aware that the Humane Society is a busy working environment, where pet allergens, cleaning agents and high noise levels exist. Critters may jump on you, leave muddy paw prints, and could scratch or bite. Although not all jobs require hands-on involvement with shelter animals, you will almost certainly be working near dogs, cats and other small animals.
On behalf of the staff and the animals, thank you, woof and meow!