Do you want to help both animals and people in your community? The Humane Society of Western Montana is seeking to hire a full-time veterinarian to join our dedicated team. HSWM is a non-profit, managed-admission shelter that has served western Montana for over 50 years. Shelter veterinarians get to work with animals housed in the shelter, those in foster care, and pets of clients in Missoula and the surrounding communities. We are a qualified employer for the Public Service Loan Forgiveness program, and employees enjoy competitive benefits that include medical, vision, and dental insurance, paid holidays, and paid time off. Compensation starts at $90,000 per year.
Shelter veterinarians at HSWM provide high-quality medical treatment for animals under our care (either in the shelter or in foster) and balance individual needs while maintaining population health. We also perform sterilization and non-sterilization surgeries (such as dentals, soft tissue procedures, scrubbing in on orthopedic procedures) on pets housed at the shelter, with partner organizations, and those living in the community. Veterinarians here also have the opportunity to travel with a team of HSWM employees and volunteers one to two times monthly to communities outside of Missoula to perform spay/neuter surgeries and provide basic preventative and wellness services (summers only).
- New mobile hospital that includes digital x-ray, surgery suite, and dental equipment
- In-shelter surgery suite with preoperative prep table, heated cage banks, two surgery tables, and a dental machine
- Portable ultrasound machine
- Companion Animal Health Laser (photobiomodulation laser)
- Bloodwork sent to hospital in town, with results in less than 24 hours
- Digital dental x-rays
- Typically a 4-day work week, with some flexibility depending on the needs of the shelter and veterinary programs
- Rotating weekends and on-call shifts for holidays
- Once to twice monthly trips to rural regions of Montana with a team from HSWM; typically 3 days in duration (no travel during the winter)
Additional Job Duties
- Train and support staff to examine animals at intake to identify medical concerns
- Ensure that accurate and complete veterinary records for HSWM animals are maintained
- Maintain effective communication with shelter personnel about veterinary treatment plans and appropriately delegate tasks to ensure priorities are accomplished
- Provide scheduled on-call guidance to staff in emergency situations requiring immediate medical problem-solving for shelter animals (there is a 24-hour emergency hospital in town that we partner with)
- Make and advise on euthanasia decisions
- Communicate shelter medicine practices and HSWM mission to other veterinarians
- Attend staff meetings and shelter-sponsored events
- Graduate of an accredited school of veterinary medicine
- Licensed to practice veterinary medicine in the state of Montana; maintain Continuing Education requirements to maintain state licensing (funding available from HSWM)
- Must possess or have the ability to obtain a DEA license
- Enthusiasm for shelter veterinary medicine
- Ability and willingness to work closely with shelter employees and volunteers as well as members of the community from diverse backgrounds
Supporting our team by building trust and honoring boundaries is a priority for the leadership team at HSWM. Please consider joining our incredible team!
To apply, or if you have questions, please send an email to email@example.com.
- Health Insurance
- Vision/Dental Insurance
- Paid Time Off
- Multiple Paid Holidays
- Employee Assistance Program
- Employee Discounts
*Benefits may vary based on employment status and length of employment.
The Humane Society of Western Montana is an equal opportunity employer.